Monday, April 2, 2012

Remington David: A Birth Story


Remington David Olsen

March 3, 2012 10:05 pm

8lbs 7oz, 20 inches long

Our estimated due date was March 10. To our surprise, our little guy was measuring significantly ahead my entire pregnancy, especially during the third trimester where he was consistently measuring 4-5 weeks bigger. Monday, February 27, at our 38-week appointment we had a growth scan ultra sound. Dr. estimated our boy was tipping the scale at 9+ lbs. We knew those estimations could be way off, but we wanted to discuss our birth options.

We didn’t necessary have a birth plan, but rather preferences. I absolutely wanted to avoid a C-section/vacuum/forceps delivery as much as possible unless it was medically necessary. I was indifferent about getting an epidural. I was open to the option but I wanted to see how my body would handle labor.
At that appointment I was still sitting at 2-3 cm and 90% effacement. Dr. brought up his concerns about the baby’s size, shoulder dystocia and the pros and cons of waiting until my due date or later to deliver. He brought up induction as a possibility and said he could induce me as early as Saturday. I would be 39.5 weeks by then. Dave and I where hesitant and the Dr. told us to think it over and let him know what we decide. Before we left he stripped my membranes (OMG OUCH)

We went home and talked all night about whether or not to induce. After much discussion and prayer we decided it was the right thing to do.
I called and scheduled my induction with the Dr. and then called my mom. She booked her flight for that Friday night. I was so excited to have my mom there with me, not only for her child birthing expertise but also for the emotional support.
The next couple days where spent cleaning our apartment, getting all the last minutes things ready for the big day and enjoying our final moments together as non-parents.


Friday, we picked up my mom and spent the night talking about how our lives where going to change in less that 24 hours. It was so surreal to think that our baby boy was going to join us so soon. Sleeping was not possible that night. The excitement-anxious-nervous-holy-cow-this-is-actually- happing feeling was too strong. I called the hospital at 6:30 the next morning to confirm my 7 o’clock go time. The nurse explained that 6 ladies had walked in overnight in labor and that they were going to have to push back our induction time.

At 1pm we showed up to the hospital, got checked in, changed into my gown and hooked up to the monitors. Hearing our baby’s heartbeat and knowing that I was going to be holding him in just a few short hours was an unbelievable feeling.

It was another hour and a half before the nurse got the Pitocin going. They started me out at a slow dosage and increased it every half hour. I was super relaxed and all smiles for the next few hours. David was taunting me with all his yummy snacks and my mom snuck me a few pieces of jerky when the nurses weren’t looking. At 5:30 I started to feel some ‘real’ contractions. They were uncomfortable but not unbearable. The nurse came in and checked my progress. Apparently I hadn’t progressed much and the Dr. was coming to break my water. My contractions started to get stronger and I couldn’t stand just sitting there in the bed. It didn’t feel natural. I got down on my birthing ball, leaned against the bed and rocked back and forth, trying to relieve some of the pressure off my pelvis. I stopped talking and tried to focus on breathing through each contraction. I was surprised at how uncomfortable they were.
The nurse came back in and said the Dr. was running a little late (we found out later he was at his son’s baptism :) and asked how I was doing. I wasn’t going to lie, I was in pain and I knew it would only get worse as the hours went on.

I felt like I needed to change positions but the nurse wanted to check me again. As I stood up to get on the bed I felt a gush of warm, almost hot fluid run down my legs. I laughed and asked if my water just broke. It did. The pressure of his head on my pelvis intensified almost immediately. The contractions started to become very consistent and strong. I was trying so hard to stay focused and fight back the urge to cry. I kneeled down and faced the back of the bed. I swayed by hips back and forth and breathed deep. David was at my side, constantly coaching me through each contraction. I couldn’t believe the pain. They came in waves, over and over. I felt like I didn’t have time to rest or catch my breath. I begged for the epidural.

No one tells you that sitting through the epidural would be harder that enduring the actual labor. I had to sit still, folded over my huge belly, through 5 gut wrenching contractions while the Capri-Sun straw sized needle was inserted into my spine. I remember gripping the bed rail and David’s hand so hard my knuckles turned white.

After the epidural was administered I asked how long it would be before I wouldn’t be able to feel anything. He said I should begin to feel numb in 15 minutes or so. 15 minutes went by and I was still feeling each and every contraction. They tried flipping me over on my sides a few times. Still, I was feeling everything.

The next chunk of time was a blur. The anesthesiologist tried to reposition the needle two more times. I remember them telling me they were also going to insert a catheter to relieve my bladder. I was like, “Are you serious!? Remember I can still everything down there, you are NOT going to put that thing in.” Well, they did and I felt it. Did I mention how much contractions hurt? I was totally hysterical. The pain completely took over. I remember sobbing and asking my mom over and over “WHY AM I STILL FEELING EVERYTHING!? WHY AM I NOT NUMB!” I wanted to give up. I was sure I would pass out and die before it was over. David tried to calm me down. I was totally disconnected from what was going on. The anesthesiologist was dumbfounded on why I was not responding to the epidural and called another guy in to see if he could do something. That guy tried a couple times, and I assured them I could still feel it all. He put some painkiller into my IV and told me it would help take the edge off. I was dilated to a 9 at that point and there was really nothing else they could do.

Suddenly I had this overwhelming urge to push. “HE’S COMING, HE’COMING” I screamed. I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to push yet. It felt like my body was going to push him out even If tried to hold him in. The Dr. was at the foot of the bed with his arms crossed, watching the fetal monitor intently. I remember thinking, “What the crap, I’m about to push this kid out and your just standing there!? “

 I found out later that Remington’s heart rate was all over the place and they had to attach an internal monitor to his head to get more accurate readings. I got checked again and told it was go-time. I couldn’t believe I had “survived” thus far. I was able to push when I felt I needed to. Pushing felt so incredible. Bearing down during the contractions and working with my body felt so productive. I could feel my baby moving down. I remember making these deep throaty grunting noises with each push and feeling so strong. I only pushed for 15 min. It was exhausting. During each push I could hear Remington’s heart rate on the monitor slow way down. It was terrifying to not know if he was ok. I remember opening my eyes and seeing the room suddenly filled with people.  The Dr. had called the NICU team in. They were preparing for the worst.

They put an oxygen mask on me and I kept taking it off. I hated the way it smelled and I felt claustrophobic. David kept putting it back and told me I had to breath for the baby. I remember asking the Dr. how much longer I had to push. He said it could be for another hour or two. At that point I knew I couldn’t go on much longer. This baby had to come right then.  As the next contraction started to come on, I let everyone in the room know that “I’m done, this is it!” I pulled my chin to my chest, bore down and let out a roar. After two pushes, he started to crown and I reached down and touched his soft little head. The next push he was out.

The next thing I heard was David crying, “Oh my gosh! You did it, Jess, oh my gosh you did it!” I opened my eyes and looked down and saw my precious baby boy. My first thoughts where “Oh my gosh he’s so small! Oh my gosh look at all his hair!?’ 
David cut the umbilical cord and within seconds he was in my arms. I was so overcome with emotion. I cried in pure bliss. This was my son. He lifted his little head, opened his dark squinty eyes and looked into mine. I was smitten.
 Shortly after, the nurses took him away to be tested and bathed. I was stitched up for the next hour. I found out later that I ended up with a 4th degree sulcus tear (what my mom says they call a vaginal C-section) and got 40+ stitches. Mom said that it was the worst she's ever seen. Remingint was born with his hand by his face, which they thought made it so severe. All I have to say about that is holly effing OUCH. (recovery has been a bitch) 

At midnight were were alone in the recovery room; just the three of us. David and I spend the rest of the night and next day just looking at our precious little Remington. He was perfect in every way. We were discharged on Monday morning with a clean bill of health. 

No one can prepare you for those first few days a home. If my mom hadn’t been there to help me, I seriously don’t know what I would have done. I know that I would have given up on breastfeeding for sure. That stuff is serious people! (more to come on that later).

For some crazy unforeseen reason my body didn’t respond to the epidural and I was forced into having my baby un-medicated. Fortunately I was in active labor for only 4 hours and pushed for 15 minutes. (even though it felt like forever) That’s really fast for a 1st time mom.

I can’t believe how much this little spirit from heaven has changed our lives. We have enjoyed (almost) every sleepless moment getting to know our sweet Remington. He is getting so big so fast, I feel like every morning I wake up next to a new baby. They aren't kidding when they say it times flys...so for now, we are taking it one day at a time. 

6 comments:

Die I Elly said...

oH my goodness Jessica!! (This is Angela Stone btw) That was beautiful. I was bawling from your description. You are so blessed and you and David are going to be wonderful parents! Congratulations!!!

E&K said...

Wow so amazing! I too shed some tears :) babies and our bodies are such miracles! I can't believe all you went through, and a 4th degree! Ouch for sure. Wonderful to see you so happy an dealing with it :) woohoo makes me excited and terrified for mine at the same time! :)

Angie Center said...

That was beautiful! Thank you for sharing. Time does fly. Enjoy these precious days.

Kendra Sue said...

Jess that was so beautiful! You had me in tears! I am so happy for you and that little boy is just adorable! Congrats!

Karlyn said...

Wow, so intense! Brought back memories of Scott's labor/delivery: induced, no epi, pushing a huge relief & very surreal to be a parent. Wonderful you have it recorded w/pictures. They don't call it labor for nothin' eh? Good work! So glad your Mama was there with you. Love ya! Aunt Karen

Travis and Lindsay said...

How amazing! He's so beautiful and you are so incredible. Congrats!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...