Thursday, December 19, 2013

5 years later...


High School Graduation 2008^^

 "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" 

"Married, with two kids and graduating from BYU-Idaho" is definitely not the answer my sweet little 18 year old self would have given. 
When I started school here at BYU-I, I had dreams of becoming a dentist.
It's true. I loved teeth. 
It took me a few semesters before I decided that the dental route wasn't for me and instead I pursued my real passion, nutrition and exercise physiology. 
Shortly after, I fell head over heals in love, and was married to my sweetheart.
My Mom made him promise her that I would finish my education. 
At the time, I wondered why she had said that. Of course I was going to finish.
I knew how important it was. 
I was raised in a home where education was valued. 
"Knowledge is power" they'd always say. 
I made it a priority in my life. 
Then 2 years later, Remington was born.
During midterms of my spring 2012 semester to be exact.
It was one of my hardest semesters to date. 
Learning how to be a mom and juggling a full load of credits was intense. 
There were a lot of nights that I'd cry myself to sleep wondering how I was going to do it all. 
I remember talking to my Mom asking her how the heck she did it, a masters degree with 6 kids.  
You just make it work.
And we did. 
A few months later we found out I was expecting again. 
I only had a handful of credits left but graduation felt forever away. I had no idea how I was going to finish with another baby on the way.
I worked my buns off. I spent every available minute studying. I kept telling myself that it was all worth it, that I was paving the road and setting example for my babies like my Mom did for me. 
And guess what. I did it.
I never thought I would see the day but,
I'm done and I'm so proud of myself.
It wouldn't have been possible without the support of my loving family, friends and the guidance and comfort from my Father in heaven. 
Tomorrow when I walk across that stage and except my diploma I will be a big crybaby mess... 
they will be tears of joy, because even though the last 5 years didn't happen as I imagined them at 18 years old,  I still accomplished something pretty great. 

Hooray Class of 2013!!!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats! That is sure something to be proud of! God bless you and your family always! :)

Andi said...

That last comment was from Andreanna Flores.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you!

Karen Meteer said...

Congratulations Jessica! You'll always be glad you completed your B.S. I graduated with an A.A. when I was 8 1/2 months preg with Scott but still want to continue...way to go!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...