Thursday, May 29, 2014

naming Olive Lou


Olive: Latin origin meaning "symbol of peace"  Lou: French origin meaning"warrior"

I was so excited when we found out that we were having a girl. I was even more excited that we got to choose a name for her. Right after the ultrasound I returned to our list of names (which has since turned into a running list on my iphone so that whenever I hear a name I like I can write it down and reference it quickly) and we went back and forth between a few for a couple weeks. Olivia was one of them. I have been obsessed with that name for a very long time. Even though I loved it so much, I hated that it had become so popular. It has been in the top 5 baby girl names for the past six years! Not that I have anything against popular or trending names, I just hated that I was always the 3rd or 4th "Jessica" in my classes growing up and I didn't want that for her. 
Anyways, one day while I was chatting with one of my girlfriends (who's oldest daughters' named Olivia haha) about baby names and my rant/dilemma about loving the name Olivia she asked, "well what about Olive?" I thought for a moment, what about Olive? It was certainly different, definitely not popular and even a little old fashioned. I loved it immediately and David loved it too. We found out later that there was an Olive way back in our family tree...get it? Olive tree...haha...ok, moving on.  
For her middle name we selected Lou after David's Grandma Lula. 
And thus came about Olive Lou. I love it so much. 
When I saw her scrunched up chubby little face for the first time, I knew that it was perfect. 
Our sweet little Olive Lou, I love HER so much. 
In the 9 months that she's been with us she has already lived up to the meaning of her name,
 "peaceful warrior."
It suits her so well.
As do her many nicknames which include:
Lou
LouLou
Lou's
YouYou (what Remington calls her)
Olive Juice
Juice
Juicy (our favorite) 
Juicy Juice
Juicy J
Juicy Lou
&
OJ


and just for kicks, how we chose Remington's name here. 


1 comment:

Lindsey Martinez said...

How crazy! We've called Beckett Juicy since she was born! In fact, she responds to that more than Beckett! :/ we also call her juicy j! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...