Mesa Sprint Triathlon


Saturday, September 29, 2018 I completed my second PREGNANT sprint triathlon! 
It was SOOOO awesome. 
I feel like i've found my people and it's like i've found my fitness niche!
I  LOVE everything about Triathlon. 
I finished in 2 hours which was 14 min slower than the one I did in May 
Not too shabby for being 25 weeks pregnant at the time. 
I trained again for 12 weeks, this time with a better fitness base.
 Near the end however, I did notice a big difference with how my body was responding since I now had a giant baby bump attached to me, haha. 

I slowed wayyyyyy down in every event. 
Which with my insane personal internal competitiveness, it was absolutely KILLING ME, 
but I knew deep down I just wanted to have fun and finish the race.
I mean, how many people can say they did a triathlon while pregnant?!
Still feels pretty badass.



This race was more fun too because I got to start the swim portion with my girls Gissell and Elena. 
It is nice to have people to talk to while you're waiting anxiously on the swim deck before it's your turn to get into the pool. 

The swim was ok, I felt like I was moving in slow motion. 
I flipped to backstroke a few times and I hated that the pool didn't have any flags hung above so I could never tell how close I was getting to the end on each lap. 
Then when I finally got to the end to get out, my body were so tired already that I could hardly push myself out of the pool. 
David was cracking up. 
I was like one, two, three, pushhhhhhh and my giant pregnant body somehow managed to get onto the deck again. 
I know I can always cut down my time in transitions, but I like to make sure I get rehydrated and that I don't forget any of my stuff. 

The bike ride felt slow also. 
It was a 4 mile loop that we rode around 3x to get the 12 miles. 
On my first lap I witnessed 2 crashes between other athletes. 
It was crazy!
The 2nd and 3rd straight away on each lap was a gradual hill climb which killlllled me. 
And then the last straight away was a crappy road and I felt like I was going to bust a tire over every little bump. 
Thankfully, I had no mechanical malfunctions, but I was mad that it took me a lot longer than I had trained for. 
When I came back into transition area, I saw David and my sister Jocelyn on the sidelines cheering me on!!
My other sister and her husband came to spend the night the night before so they could watch the babies for us. The race was about an hour from our house and we had to be there EARLY and I didn't want to do deal with the kids lol.
Then came the run. 
My only goal for the run was not to stop. 
I didn't care how slow I ran, even if it was a fast a other peoples walk lol. 
The water stations were poorly planned and I'm so glad I brought a water bottle with me because I was DYING. 
It was warm out but I didn't feel the affects of the heat. 
I grabbed one of those "cool towels" that keep you cool when you get it wet. 
It worked liked magic. 
The run course went through a neighborhood and then a park where we ran through a grass field that had SO many pot holes. 
I was afraid I was going to roll my damn ankles the entire time. 
Finally it ended up on the track for the last 100m. 

I remember glancing down at my watch and thinking OMG I can finished at 2 hours, YAY!
My initial goal was to finish in at least 2:15 so, despite being slower, I was still happy overall. 
My trip suit zipper broke a week before the race, so I had to complete the whole thing with my baby bump hanging out lol. 
I got some funky tan lines from that!
Finished and so happy!!
It was Elena's frist triathlon!
I was SO proud of her. 
She had had surgery on her knee just a few weeks prior and she kicked ASS!!
You can actually see her on the film killing me in the swim, passing my butt 25 m into the race. 
She totally rocked it. 
Gissell also beat her PR by 20+ minutes!!!
I loved training with her. 
She keeps me on my toes. 
I love these girls so much!!
I can't wait to train and compete in more Triathlon events next year. 
I'd love to train for an Olympic distance and possibly try on open water race!?
We will see.

Here's a little highlight film that I threw together with some of the clips David captured. 




Comments

Popular Posts