Tuesday, March 11, 2014

body after babies


^^ 39 weeks, the day that Olive was born! There was a 9lb baby in there!?"

Over the last two years I have had two healthy pregnancies, both of which resulted in the birth of two large and beautiful babies. That being said, I am fairly confident that I know a thing or two about how hard it is and how much it sucks work it takes to get back in shape after having babies.

But here's the deal, before I could do that I had to come to accept a few things-

1st- I gain a crap ton of weight when I'm pregnant (76 lbs with Remington, 63 pounds with Olive)( I know...I told you it was a crap ton) 
2nd- Because of said weight gain, I do not "bounce right back" after baby is born. 
3rd- The whole "Oh, all I do is breastfeed and the weight just falls right off" is a bunch of crap. (Way to go if it works for you. I banked on that happening after I had Remington, waiting for the weight to "fall off". Now that I'm currently nursing both kids I am still waiting. I have accepted that I am not one of the lucky few haha!) 
4th-It is possible to get my body back, It's just going to take a lot of work and time. 

I wrote a post about pregnancy and body image shorty after I gave birth to Remington. I had a really hard time accepting the changes that were going on with my body during that first pregnancy. Then we found out I was expecting again when Remington was just 8 months old. I hadn't lost all the weight from the first pregnancy and I was terrified that I'd quadruple in size! Although that did partly come to pass, my body image and attitude while carrying Olive was completely different that it was the first time around. I thoroughly enjoyed being pregnant. I was more positive and welcomed the changes. I felt so blessed that my body was able to grow another baby so soon after the first one. (Our bodies are AMAZING!!!!) 

On the other hand, I weighed the most I had in my entire life while pregnant with Olive. I remember stepping on the scale at each appointment and cringing as I watched the number rise. My Dr. was so awesome about it though. He didn't scold me for the number on the scale. I'd always bring up my concern with my weight gain and he'd tell me that baby and I were perfectly healthy and to not worry about it. So I didn't. 

Then Olive was born I dropped 30 lbs in the first couple weeks. 30 lbs gone, just like that. A few months later the weight loss stalled and the scale didn't budge. I wasn't bothered by it at all. I was so busy learning how to adjust to life with two under two that I didn't have time to worry! I was eating a lot though. I felt like I was starving constantly. (I figured it had something to do with providing nourishment for both babies). 

It wasn't until 4 months postpartum that I decided it was time to get back in shape and get healthy. It just so happened that a guy in our ward opened up **CrossFit Rexburg  at the same time, so I took it as a sign to join up and pay someone to hold me responsible to reach my goals. I am so happy I did because It has certainly paid off!

Since I started I have lost 21 pounds and 7.5 % body fat. I have lost inches all over my body and my clothes are literally falling off. I have gotten so much stronger and my energy and confidence have increased immensely. I haven't felt this good in a LONG time. At 7 months post-partum I am 10 lbs away from my 30 pound weight loss goal and my pre-pregnancy weight! I am SO close!!!! 

I have learned a lot about myself in the past couple months. The biggest thing I have taken away from this experience is that there is power in positive thinking and positive self talk. I used to look in the mirror and think horrible and negative thoughts about my body. I wasn't happy and it was holding me back from reaching my goals. I am happy to say that I have come a long way. I am proud at what I have accomplished. I am proud that my body is able grow and create life and provide nourishment for for that life. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed this weight loss journey. I know that when I lose those last 10 lbs I will celebrate because I did it...
...and then the next baby will come and I will get to do it all over again!!
Hooray for babies!!!
**In case you were wondering this is NOT a sponsored post. I just wanted to put in a plug that Rexburg CrossFit is bomb.com and I contribute a lot of my success to them because of the support and encouragement I have received from my CrossFit family.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...